Monday, September 29, 2014

9/21/2014 I know Spanish!

Hey mom!
This week was really awesome! A lot happened this week!
So I don't remember if I told you this story already, but it was super
funny. Last week, Andi, the son of our less active Mirsha, was playing
with us. He is three years old and only knows Spanish. So cute! He
brought us his toys. One was an angry bird. I asked "como se llama
el?" (Which is like what is his name?"
And he told me "mata piggies!" (Which means kill piggies hahahahaha) So funny!
It was so so funny.
And then the other morning sister Harris said "you know that moment
when Presidnet and Sister Alba ask who wants to give a prayer at Zone
conference?"
And then she started singing "Look down, look down, don't look them in the eye."
From Les Mis hahahha
But this week! On last Wednesday we had an activity night for the
branch but like only 2 families came. So it was them and all 8 of us
missionaries. We played the games pterodactyl and bunny bunny. We have
to do it when I get home! They were SO funny haha
And then so on Friday we were having a Viva Mexico fiesta to celebrate
Mexico Independence Day! So on Thursday night Hermana Harris was
making Salsa Macha to put on this tortilla stuff to bring to the
party. In Salsa Macha you have to use chiles de Arbol. I HATE chiles
de Arbol. I can handle spicy but those are like melt your face off
spicy. The last time I ate one I lived in Rosa.
Sister Harris wanted me to taste test her salsa. So I told myself "it
won't be that hot, it's all blended up In a salsa." Oh. It was that
hot. I licked one little dip of salsa and started gagging! It was so
hot! Hahahahaha so I named it Fuego del Infierno de Las Ardillas
Malditas. It was so terrible. It needed a dramatic Hispanic name like
that. English just didn't do it justice.
So I was calling the salsa Fuego del Infierno de Las Adillas Malditas
and the Hermana Harris goes "Hell Fire of the Cursed Squirrels?" Haha
it was so funny! Really, English doesn't do it justice hahahahaha
So anyway, on to the more spiritual side of the week.
On Thursday morning I read "Lost Battalions" a talk by Thomas S Monson
from 1971. In it he shared this poem "Somebodys mother"
"The woman was old and ragged and gray
And bent with the chill of the Winter’s day.
The street was wet with a recent snow,
And the woman’s feet were aged and slow.
She stood at the crossing and waited long,
Alone, uncared for, amid the throng
Of human beings who passed her by
Nor heeded the glance of her anxious eye.

Down the street, with laughter and shout,
Glad in the freedom of ‘school let out,’
Came the boys like a flock of sheep,
Hailing the snow piled white and deep. …
[One] paused beside her and whispered low,
'I’ll help you cross, if you wish to go? …
‘She’s somebody’s mother, boys, you know,
For all she’s aged and poor and slow.“
‘And I hope some fellow will lend a hand
To help my mother, you understand,
If ever she’s poor and old and gray,
When her own dear boy is far away.’

And ‘somebody’s mother’ bowed low her head
In her home that night, and the prayer she said
Was, ‘God be kind to the noble boy,
Who is somebody’s son, and pride and joy.’”

Awwwwwwwwww It totally made me almost cry! I love Thomas S Monson.
This is such a good example of how we need to serve and be kind to one
another so that we can please our Heavenly Father(: this week I'm
teaching about Charity in district meeting, so I think I'm gonna share
that poem, Haha. it was beautiful. The last few days I have been
studying a lot about families and strengthening them with love and the
gospel.

And then on Thursday afternoon we got to visit the Familia Hernandez.
I don't know if I've told you about them in my emails, but Jose got
baptized my first day here in Napa. He is 23. His older sister Norma,
his younger brother Chino, and his two younger sisters Yesenia and
Yoana all got baptized in January.
They are an amazing family, and they already have such strong
testimonies! They all read and pray DAILY individually and sometimes
as a family too! So cool!
When we taught Jose Hernandez about the priesthood. It was SO
powerful.Yesenia said "he will be the first in our family to have the
priesthood." That is so cool. It gave me goosebumps and made me want
to cry. It is just amazing to see that. For generations to come! When
Yesenia and Yoana have their own families, they can tell their sons,
your uncle Jose was the first man in our family to have the
priesthood, their family is going to see so many blessings having the
priesthood in their home! They are such awesome examples to me. I love
them so much! I am so blessed to have been raised in a home with a dad
who has the priesthood(:
I know what a family looks like without the priesthood, or without the
gospel, and I am so grateful I have always had it in my life. So thank
you, parents.
The other awesome thing about the gospel, is people can change. Just 2
or 3 weeks ago, Jose wasn't even a member of this church. Now he is
baptized and worthy to hold the priesthood authority of God! The same
priesthood that can be traced back to the Savior Jesus Christ himself!
So crazy! Heavenly Father knows each of us has a divine potential and
he helps us to achieve it.
Wow. Anyway. Those were my thoughts for the week.
The gospel really does bless families! Thanks mom and dad(:

So yesterday, at church, we had branch conference. The stake leaders
came and taught and the missionaries translated during all three hours
haha
During sacrament when they gave talks, and then the second and third
hours when they taught. In the Sunday school class, we were all
together (men and women) and the stake president had all of us
missionaries sit in the front. We thought we were translating, but it
was weird that he needed 8 translators. Then he turns to the members
and said that "not too long ago in general conference, Elder Nelson
taught us that if we had any hard questions, anything we needed,
anything we didn't know, we could ask the missionaries."
So he gave the members 45 minutes to ask us any questions they wanted.
I'm not gonna lie, I was so scared! Haha I got really nervous for a second.
So they started asking us the "hard questions". The doubts they had
about the church. The things they didn't understand. The things that
were keeping them back from sharing the gospel, the questions their
friends asked them that they were too scared to answer.
And I knew ALL the answers! Ahhhhh! It was a really cool lesson. I am
feeling so blessed to have served a mission. They were all questions I
didn't understand before my mission. Questions about the law of
chastity, the word of wisdom, paying tithing, the temple, repentance,
being sealed... All sorts of things! And now I know the doctrine! I
know the answers! And that knowledge will stay with me the rest of my
life! Oh I am so blessed. At the end of the hour I had a lot more
confidence in myself and the members had a lot more confidence in us
as missionaries. The missionaries really do know their stuff and you
can trust them with your friends and referrals. It was really
awesome(: I didn't think it was gonna go so smoothly, but The Lord
really does help his servants!
Also yesterday I was thinking during church, I don't remember what
attending an English ward is like. Hahahah now the screaming children,
the Spanish hymns, the immodest clothing, it's all normal haha I don't
know what a ward is "supposed" to look like. But I love my branches. I
have been really blessed to serve In a Spanish branch my whole mission
so far! A lot of missionaries don't get that either!
Oh it was just a super awesome sunday(:
I can't believe I've already been on my mission 6 transfers! And I
have had 8 companions! Hahahha that's not normal, I've had a pretty
crazy mission life story.
Also, on Saturday night I had an epiphany. I was sitting half asleep
during our Coorliation meeting, Frank was talking (in Spanish). I
wasn't even paying attention to what he was saying... And then I
realized. I wasn't paying attention! I understood EVERYTHING! I didn't
even have to focus on translating! It was so wonderful! I LEARNED
SPANISH! I don't know when it happened, it just kind of hit me. I came
out of that meeting like dancing and skipping I was so happy(:
So anyway. I learned a lot this week!!!!!!!

I CANNOT believe it is already almost October! Tomorrow we go to the temple!
On Friday we get transfer doctrine and next Tuesday is transfers! I
have no idea what is going to happen. I hope I stay though! I love
Napa! A lot a lot a lot!
The time is just flying by! I think from here until January 1st will
just feel like a blink. Really.

OMGOSH! I LOVE those unicorns. I was crying I was laughing so hard hahahahaha
The spooky walk looks great!
Thanks for sending me so many pictures this week!
Doesn't that loose horse live at the house at the end of the field? By Wylans?
NO WAY! They gave you McGregor and Sputnik??
Ahhhhh so happy! Two of my favorite horses EVER!!!
And I'm glad to hear the elk herd is thinning out.(: I didn't like
them too much anyway.
Do we still have both Apollo and Zues?

I love you! I hope you had a wonderful week!
<3 Hermana hardy!

No comments:

Post a Comment